Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wilton Class


I finally decided to go for it and sign up for the Wilton cake decorating classes. I've been envious of Ginger and the fun she's had in her classes. Still, cakes intimidate me. That's why I usually stick to cupcakes - they're easier and way fun! After my first Wilton class this past Tuesday, I'm wondering if I could possibly feel the same about cakes at some point in the future...

There were a couple of things that convinced me to finally sign up. Having a job certainly helps! After seeing how quickly the guys in the plant could devour a plate of sweets, I was no longer worried about the effects a class would have on my waistline. Lastly, I heard that Wilton had redesigned their curriculum to include more cupcakes and cookies. The sale on course tuition and materials didn't hurt either!

I'm taking my classes at Michael's on Tuesday nights. There will be 4 sessions, each lasting 2 hours. I just completed the first class. I think I'm probably a tad bit more advanced than the typical beginner student, so a lot of the first class was a review of tools and tricks I've already tried. Still, it's good to have professional input and learn the "right" way to do things. For instance, I found a new way to grip the icing bag that I like better.

My instructor demonstrating torting, filling, icing, and decorating a cake - our tasks for the 2nd class. She made it look so easy! Like I said, cakes have always scared me. However, after seeing what a little experience and the right tools and techniques can do, I'm excited (and a little nervous) to try it next week.


Our project for the first class was cookies. We were supposed to bake them and bring them in ahead of time. Because I signed up for class at the last minute and because I had to do my baking on a work night, I decided to go the easy route - I bought a roll of Pilsbury sugar dough cookies, sliced them, and baked them. Overall, I thought they turned out okay - they baked up a little thinner than I would have liked - but they were fine for the purposes of the class. After being shown the proper way to prepare and fill an icing bag, we were off to decorate our cookies using the star tip. I didn't have too much time in class to give attention to very many cookies, but I thought the ones I did decorate turned out nice. I can tell my skills are improving, and that definitely makes me happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Krispy Kakes Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice