Saturday, June 26, 2010

Wilton Class 3 - Cupcakes (And More Cupcakes!)


This Tuesday, I had my third session in the Wilton Decorating Basics class. We were concentrating on cupcakes, so I felt much more in my comfort zone this time. I had baked and frozen a dozen cupcakes the week before out of the same Duncan Hines cake mix that I wasn't so crazy about. Freezing made them a little on the dry side, but the class was mostly about decorating, so they were fine for the purpose they were serving.

We packed a lot of techniques into this one class! We learned drop flowers, which I really like, swirl flowers, which I wasn't as good at, shells, which I need some practice in, leaves, which are super easy, and a few other flowers. The new Wilton class supplies include a cupcake nail, which is supposed to make it easier to swirl icing on top of the cupcake, but I didn't like it! I think it's quicker and easier to freehand the swirl, maybe because that's how I've been doing it for a while now - not sure, but the cupcake nail wasn't my favorite. I do see how it could come in handy for making flowers directly onto the cupcake, though.


cupcake decorated with drop flowers and leaves

The two other flowers we learned were the shaggy mum and the pom-pom flower. I really like the shaggy mum! It looks kind of like Cookie Monster from the back. I need to think of a fun way to use it. I had a little more trouble with the pom-pom flower, but I think I could get it with more practice. I'm not sure what I would use it for though.


cupcake with shaggy mum on top
(I kind of went crazy with the leaves.)


pom-pom flowers
(my instructor's on the left and my more crooked version on the right)


As if I hadn't had enough cupcakes already, Ginger's birthday was on Thursday, and I'd promised that I'd bake her something. She requested strawberry cupcakes with buttercream icing, so I whipped up yet another batch of icing. (This week, I did NOT use the awful butter, and the results were SO much better!) I'd never tasted, much less made strawberry cake before, so I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Ginger had said the strawberry boxed cake mixes were good, but I really didn't want to overwhelm her with 2 dozen cupcakes, so I found a homemade recipe for 12 in my cupcake cookbook. It used fresh strawberries and buttermilk, so it sounded like it would be good. I decided to color the icing in a light, pretty pink in honor of the name of the recipe (Pretty in Pink Cupcakes) and picked up some white sprinkles and store-bought daisies to complete the look. (I haven't learned how to make daisies yet, so I figured I deserved a break!)

I was definitely pleased with the look of the cupcakes! But I was a little unsure how they would taste. It's always nerve wracking to try a new recipe, and this one didn't yield any extra to taste ahead of time! Everyone said the cupcakes were good. My only complaint was that the cake seemed a little dense - since I only used egg whites instead of the whole egg, I thought they'd be a little fluffier.


Ginger's birthday cupcakes

While I do enjoy baking, I'm glad this marathon week is over. It was a success, but 3 nights of baking in 1 week is something I won't try again for a LOOONG time! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Krispy Kakes Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice